- The vision to initially start building this Animus Universe, so long ago—a story of adventuring animal-humans with sweeping epic tales among the stars—and, very importantly, the feelings of hope and upward adventure.
- The process becoming clear to me on how to make everything work—from everything I've learned about the creation of comics, to the tools to make video and transmedia—and so much more!
- The business partner and a man of moral love and integrity who would believe in me when the road got so dark I could not even see my feet from under me.
What does gratitude have to do with worldbuilding? How can it aid and abet your creative, discovery process? Here are just a few reasons why…
1. gratitude is an essential part of recognizing where you've been and why you want to stay there
2. Gratitude lets you notice and be inspired by the details around you, giving you a richer tapestry to lay
When you notice these things, mittens, cups of coffee, tips for service, you are Tuning In to parts of the world—activate parts of your mental map that you may not ordinarily dive into.
Because each of these things exists in a context. Mittens, for example, exist in a world where people have fingers they need to keep warm, and may trade dextrous ability to indivuate their digits with the "snuggly-in-bed together" / "shared body heat" sensation of not wearing gloves—but wrapping the fingers together so they can keep each other warm.
Take a moment to shift your gaze to all the things that are going well in your life—I will guarantee they will outnumber, and probably outweigh any trials you are going through—and you will find that each of them will hook you into a wider, fresher, more inspirational worldbuilding context.
3. gratitude aids in what tolkien calls "rediscovery" — the primary purpose of myth, fantasy and imagination
Photo credit: Graphic Stock
For example, the winged-equine Pegasus in Greek myth may help us to rediscover that first feeling humanity had when its first forebears took to riding upon horses. The great speed that was suddenly enabled therein most likely was not far from the experience of flying.
If you take moments to think positively and warmly about your life, you may remember how those "first love" moments, and insodoing find creative ways to bless others with that same re-awakening.